Life isn’t always perfect, and you don’t have to pretend it is. It’s fine to be a hot mess and not have it all together all of the time. Your house might be messy, and your hair might be a complete mess, but that’s okay because your life doesn’t have to look like the pictures in magazines.
No one has a perfect life, even if they make it look that way on social media. Other people might pretend to have it all together, but you’ll get more out of admitting you’re imperfect. There’s no need to be a perfectionist when you know it’s okay not to have it all together.
When you are true to who you are and not afraid to show your real life, it’s an act of bravery. Many people hide their flaws, insecurities, and life problems. By handling things without shielding your flaws from everyone else, you empower others and let them know it’s okay to be a hot mess.
You might have a sink full of dishes, a stain on your shirt, or a messy head of hair. Even still, it’s okay, and the people who matter will appreciate that you aren’t afraid of showing your real life. Everyone is a mess in their way, and hiding it will only make you feel worse.
The Benefits of Being a Hot Mess
Life is unpredictable and intense situations happen all of the time. Emotional experiences happen, and things get hectic and overwhelming sometimes. Embrace those times, even if you wish things could be better, because it’s okay.
You don’t always have to have it all together, and these quotes can quickly reassure you. Imperfection is a part of life, and embracing your imperfections will lead you to others who are true to themselves, too. You can find people who have imperfect lives with dirty laundry and dishes or toys strewn around.
These are the people you can be yourself, sharing laughter, tears, and stories along the way. When you offer your true self to others, it allows them to be honest in return. You’ll form deeper relationships and influence others positively as you find the people who best fit into your life.
Quotes That Reassure You That It Is Okay to Be a Hot Mess.
- “Those who are at times described as being a ‘hot mess’ or having ‘too many issues’ are the very fabric of what keeps the dream alive for a more caring, humane world. Never be ashamed to let your tears shine a light in this world.” – Anthon St. Maarten
If you cry easily or often feel like you fall apart when issues occur, it’s okay. These characteristics show how caring you are and can produce the same effect on others. Show other people the real you, even if it’s a hot mess, so that the world can see what humanity looks like.
- “Life isn’t meant to be lived perfectly…but merely to be lived. Boldly, wildly, beautifully, uncertainly, imperfectly, magically lived.” – Mandy Hale
Life wouldn’t be exciting if everything was perfect and went the way you wanted it to go. When things aren’t perfect, there’s a chance for magic and beauty that you wouldn’t have experienced otherwise.
- “I always find beauty in things that are odd and imperfect – they are much more interesting.” – Marc Jacobs
Being a hot mess allows you to keep things interesting and exciting. If you were always perfect, everyone would know what to expect, and you would never have any surprises, either.
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
If you always tried to hide your flaws, things would get boring quickly. Having to hide things means you can never let your guard down and get to know anyone. Plus, it forces you to miss out on opportunities and experiences out of fear of not looking perfect.
- “You were born to be real not to be perfect. You are here to be you, not to live someone else’s life.” – Ralph Marston
It’s okay if you aren’t like someone else. You must be your person and show your true qualities and characteristics. If you feel like you’re imperfect compared to others, it is because they’re hiding their imperfections.
- “The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” – Doctor Who
Throughout your life, you’ll experience positive and negative situations. Not everything is perfect, and life is still a great adventure. When things get hard, remember this quote for reassurance that it’s okay to be imperfect.
- “I think even a hero is someone who has sort of the flaw or imperfection of character.” – Hector Tobar
Even the person everyone else looks up to isn’t perfect. Everyone has flaws, and sometimes they’re a hot mess. No one is exempt from feeling like everything is out of control sometimes, either, but it all falls into place.
- “There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.” – Steve Maraboli
People often think they must hide their flaws, but that isn’t true. Be true to yourself, and don’t let anyone make you feel bad for who you are. By being comfortable with who you are, you’ll be more beautiful than if you’d tried to hide every imperfection.
- “I think that’s the most beautiful thing about being confident – just loving yourself, not caring what everybody else thinks.” – Joanna Krupa
When you’re confident in yourself, you’ll love who you are without worrying about what other people think. Then, you’ll embrace your chaotic days and work through things in your way. You don’t have to have a life like anyone else, and the only opinion that matters is yours.
- “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously, that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case you fail by default.” – J.K. Rowling
As long as you’re trying and learning, you’ll fail. As Rowling explains, you will fail as long as you try to live a meaningful life. However, failing is better than not doing anything in life.
Embrace your chaos, mistakes, and flaws because it shows that you are trying. If you never fail, you aren’t truly living a fulfilling life anyway.
- “I realized that I don’t have to be perfect. All I have to do is show up and enjoy the messy, imperfect, and beautiful journey of my life.” – Kerry Washington
As long as you show up each day and keep trying, it’s okay when things don’t go as planned. You can be a hot mess and still enjoy the beauty all around you. It’s best to give your all and not be perfect than not to try at all.
- “The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” – Anna Quindlen
While it’s hard to give up on the idea of perfection, it’s well worth the switch. When you let go of the concept of perfection, as Quindlen suggests, you can improve who you are while enjoying life. It’s okay to be imperfect, and it’s okay not to have everything figured out right now.